This alerting is for accounts created on 27th June 2016 or later.
For accounts created before that, check out these articles:
All alerting is set up via Users & Teams > Users in the menu on the left.
To clarify some terms:
User, someone who can log in to Pingdom and get alerts.
Contact, can get alerts but not log in.
Check, what Pingdom does, see here.
What you're interested in first is how to set up alerts for yourself. If you are a single user on an account this will already have been done for you automatically with your sign up information, but you can review the settings using the steps below.
This is what it looks like:
- Enter your name or the name of the team that should get the alerts.
- This option allows you to set the same alerting whether the check is set as Low or High Importance
- Here you set contact methods for checks marked as high importance. The contact methods are either email or SMS/Text Message
- Here you set the contact methods for checks marked as low importance.
For mobile alerts to our iOS/Android app, just start the app and enable notifications on the Settings screen. Your phone's name will then automatically show up as a contact method on your user. (Only applicable for users)
You'll get alerts on all contact methods you have selected (depending on the importance level of the check), and you can add other peoples email addresses and numbers if you want as well, but then they will be addressed as the name entered above.
To add more people you have 2 options, users or contacts. Users are people who are invited to Pingdom and have their own Pingdom accounts created with access to your account. Contacts are folks who just receive alerts.
- The number of user slots you have left (Applies on Advanced, Professional and Enterprise accounts)
- Select level of access of the invited users. Viewer is the only read only option.
- Select if you want to add a contact instead of user (All plans)
- Login email that the new user will have, once you send the invite they'll accept this and have access to the Pingdom account. Not applicable for contacts.
When you have some Contacts and/or Users set up, to receive alerts you are ready for the next step, setting up your check to send out alerts. To start this head over to Monitoring > Uptime in the menu on the left. You are presented with your checks in a list view here, you need to open the edit modal for one of your checks to change the alert settings for it. This can be done by either clicking the name of the check or clicking the menu button to the right on the listed check and then clicking "Edit".
If you scroll down in this view you will be presented with something that looks like this:
- First you need to set the importance level of this check. If the website you're monitoring is a critical service, you would set it to High importance. This setting affects the alert settings we went through at the start of the article, and alerts will be sent out differently according to your set up.
- Then you need to select who to alert, and your options listed here are the ones configured earlier.
- Then there is the alert delay which tells the check to wait a specified time before alerting you, the check needs to be down for the whole time period before you are alerted.
- You also have the possibility to send repeat alerts/resend alerts up to 4 times after the initial alert (not available on our free plan, sorry!). The repeat function is based on down cycles. 1 down cycle is the test interval times "when down, alert after", so if you have the check set to test your site every 5 minutes, and the "when down alert after" time is set to 5 minutes, 1 down cycle is 25 minutes.
- Lastly there is an option to get alert messages when the check is back up again.