Transaction Recorder and Transaction checks
The transaction recorder allows you to create a user-journey or flow to test website functionality without having to script it yourself (like "normal" transaction checks). The recorder is very easy to use, but it requires downloading an application to record and then save a check to Pingdom.
How to get started
- Download link (Windows only)
- In your Pingdom account, create a Read-Write access token under Integrations-> The Pingdom API https://my.pingdom.com/app/api-tokens
- Copy the token and save it in the recorder application
- Start recording the steps you want to monitor!
Creating and saving a new recording will result in a new transaction check in My Pingdom. You modify alerting, tags, interval, and region settings in my Pingdom after creating the recording.
Steps for a transaction check created via the recorder are edited in the recorder only. Steps for checks created via My Pingdom are edited in My Pingdom only.
A simple example
This is a recording that goes through the login process on my.pingdom.com, then verifies that a specific text is on the chosen page, then it logs out again.
The best practice is to keep this as simple as possible, just like you want your users to have an easy to use experience, you should test the easiest and most critical steps in any transaction.
A few limitations
- The Recorder available in Pingdom does not support the following operations:
Downloading and uploading files
- Not possible to interact via key-presses (enter, tab etc), interact with text or password fields by adding text directly to them
The full technical documentation and more details about the recorder is available in the SolarWinds Success Center here: